Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson


This book was one of my summer reads. Summer seems to be the only time I have a lot of time to be able to read. I miss summer... well moving on to the book :) I very much enjoyed this book! It revolves around the death of Carl Heine in which Kabuo Miyamoto, a Japanese American, is being accused of. Carl's body was found in the sea, trapped on his own net of his fishing boat. Kabuo goes under a trial, during the anti-japanese sentiments after WWII. Ishmael Chambers who runs the newspaper wonders if Kabuo is truly innocent. Ishmael fought during the war against the Japanese losing his arm during a battle, so he formed a hatred towards the Japanese. But he continues to be in love with Hatsue, whom he grew up with. Hatsue is married to Kabuo but Ishmael and Hatsue had a romantic history when they were young, up until Hatsue was taken away along with other Japanese to a camp and Ishmael went to war. But overall its such a good read,the characters gather evidence and investigate to prove Kabuo is guilty but the trial seems unfair just because he is Japanese and therefore they quickly assume he is guilty for the murder of Carl Heine.

Reviews by other readers:

"What a fantastic book. I recommend this to anyone. It's amazing how humans treat other humans sometimes." -Robin

"
what a great story.. very different from anything i read before. Crime, mystery, love, family and war.." - Jasan

"Very good story - a murder trial, with a love story entangled in it, with prejudice and hatred framing it - beautiful description of nature and the land of the pacific northwest. And you learn some history too" -Ruth

4 comments:

  1. Hi, this sounds like an interesting book, I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this book before for an Asian American class I took during college--I remember really liking it :)

    xx
    MILK TEETHS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this, I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i shud read thiso ne soon! provided they have it in ndian bookstores :))

    ReplyDelete